Get familiar with the basics of the 529 Plans and your options for investing for your child’s college education.
Understanding the Basics
529 Plans are state-sponsored, tax-deferred savings accounts that allow investors to save for the costs of higher education, regardless of income. The plan gives investors the opportunity to invest in predetermined investment portfolios across multiple asset classes. Most plans have rules on how you can allocate your assets based on your child’s age-generally getting less aggressive as he or she approaches college age.
Benefits of the TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan
In comparison with other tax-deferred college savings accounts, 529 Plans offer investors with more flexibility.
- Investment Choices -The TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan offers a range of investment choices, including core and socially aware options for age-based and static investment choices, as well as individual investment choices covering a variety of asset classes.
- Straightforward Pricing -There are no enrollment, annual maintenance, withdrawal/transfer, or investment change fees.*
- No Proprietary Funds -Find comfort in knowing that your plan’s investment comes from objective, professional third-party research.
- Tax-Deferred Growth -Money in your account grows tax-deferred while in the account and are free from federal and state taxes when withdrawn for qualified higher education expenses.1
The TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan Investment Options
When you open a TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan, you’ll have access to a range of investment choices to choose from, including portfolios with funds from some of the most well-known fund families. TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan offers three different investment options:
- Age-Based Investment Option -These options are designed to reduce your portfolio’s exposure to loss of principal as the beneficiary nears college age. Choose from core or socially aware investment options.
- Static Investment Option -These options allocate your assets into a set domestic equity, international equity, fixed income, or money market funds over the life of the account. Choose from aggressive, growth, moderate growth, moderate or conservative asset allocations. Core and socially aware investment options are also available for static portfolios.
- Individual Investment Option -You can allocate your investments among 17 different individual investment choices among different asset classes. With each individual fund subject to some risk exposure, your overall portfolio performance may be more volatile than Age-Based and Static Investment Options.
Developing a Strategy
Like any other investment, 529 Plans are subject to market risks, and returns are not guaranteed. So it’s important to consider more conservative investments if you have a short time to save, especially if your child is near the beginning of his or her college education. To protect your investment and your child’s education, consider your investment goals and objectives, as well as your tolerance for market volatility and investment risk when selecting your investments.
Download and print important TD Ameritrade 529 College Savings Plan forms, agreements, PDF applications, and disclosures from the list below. To view and print files properly, please be sure to install Adobe® Reader . Our Web-based forms can be completed online and submitted via mail after signing.