- Open your new account online and follow the step-by-step tutorial.
- To transfer to an existing TD Ameritrade account, print the Account Transfer Form and follow the instructions below:
Guidelines and What to Expect When Transferring
Be sure to read through all this information before you begin completing the form. Contact us if you have any questions.
Information about your TD Ameritrade Account
- Write the name(s)/title of the account as it appears on your TD Ameritrade account. If you do not already know the number of the TD Ameritrade account into which you are transferring, leave the account number section blank.
- You must complete the Social Security Number or Tax ID Number section(s) because your transfer cannot be processed without this information.
Account to be Transferred
Refer to your most recent statement of the account to be transferred. Be sure to provide us with all the requested information.
Indicate which type of transfer you are requesting.
If the assets are coming from a:
Brokerage account: indicate whether your transfer is to be TOTAL or PARTIAL by checking the appropriate box. To do a PARTIAL transfer, you must list specific assets and quantities in the spaces provided on the transfer form.
Mutual fund company:
- When transferring a mutual fund held in a brokerage account, you do not need to complete this section. Instead, please complete either the TOTAL Transfer Section or PARTIAL Transfer Section of the form. Some mutual funds cannot be held at all brokerage firms. This typically applies to proprietary and money market funds. These funds must be liquidated before requesting a transfer.
- List the fund name and mutual fund account number to be transferred. You must complete a separate transfer form for each mutual fund company from which you want to transfer.
- You may, however, list several funds on one transfer form, provided they are all held at the same mutual fund company. You will need to choose if you want each fund to TRANSFER AS SHARES or to be LIQUIDATED and transferred as cash to your TD Ameritrade account. If you choose to transfer shares, you must also choose whether you would like FUTURE CAPITAL GAINS AND DIVIDENDS reinvested into shares or paid in cash.
CD, Life Insurance, or annuity: If you are transferring a Certificate of Deposit (CD), please indicate (with your initials) if you want to redeem your CD immediately or at maturity. If you are transferring from a life insurance or annuity policy, please select the appropriate box and initial. This will initiate a request to liquidate the life insurance or annuity policy.
- Transfers from a qualified retirement plan are typically completed by following instructions from the administrator of the plan. You may not need to complete a TD Ameritrade Account Transfer Form. Please check with your plan administrator to learn more.
- Rollover IRAs held at another institution can be directly transferred into a TD Ameritrade IRA by completing the TD Ameritrade External Account Transfer Form.*
- In all other cases, please complete an Online Account Application. (To open this IRA, TD Ameritrade requires you to be of legal age in your state of residency.)
Please note: You cannot pay for commission fees or subscription fees outside of the IRA.
*At this time, TD Ameritrade is unable to directly roll over a qualified retirement plan to a Roth IRA. Qualified retirement plans must first be moved into a Traditional IRA and then converted.
Transfer Agreement: All authorized TD Ameritrade account owner(s)/trustee(s) must sign in the space(s) provided. Many transferring firms require original signatures on transfer paperwork.
Remember to do the following:
- Include a copy of your most recent statement with your account name(s)/title clearly shown.
- Complete Sections 2 and 3 in full.
- Complete the appropriate information in Section 4.
- Make sure your account title in Section 2 matches the account title in Section 3.
- Sign in Section 5 that you are an account owner or trustee.
- Please contact a New Client consultant if you want help completing the Account Transfer Form .